STOP! Please print these instructions first!
When you click to download the installation file, you will be taken away from these instructions. By printing out these instructions, you can follow the steps below once you are on the web page where you will be downloading the installation tile.
You will be installing version 11.0.1606.29, which came out on June 29, 2016.
The 11 refers to the year 2016.
The 06 refers to the month of June.
The 29 refers to the day-of-the-month.
Find your Database File and Copy it.
- At the computer where you have been running Gradience already, go to C:\ProgramData\Gradience and open the Hrware.inifile. This file will tell you where your database file is located.
Note: The Programdata folder may be hidden. You may go online to see how to unhide this folder on your operating system.
Near the top of the Hrware.ini file, you will see three lines as shown here…
- The last item in the PATHline; (hrware.gdb) refers to the database.
- Go to where it resides and copy it.
- Paste a copy of this folder into a neutral place where it can be retrieved later.
Install on the Server.
- Please click here to install version 11 and [during installation] be sure to specifically select [only] the software title(s) you need and be sure to select Server when given the option.
- About midway through the installation, you will see a button for Test Connection. Please do not click it because on a fresh install, it will fail. Just click Next.
- At the end of the installation, you will see a message about restarting now or later. You can ignore this as it is [NOT] necessary to restart the machine.
- Go to that neutral location where you pasted a copy of the original database file and copy it again.
- At the new server and use the copy of the original database (Hrware.gdb) to replacethe new, blank one that was created by the installation process.
- Open Gradience on the NEW Server to verify that you see all of your original data and then click Help > About to verify the software version number and then close-out.
- At the server, go to C:\ProgramData\Gradience and copy the Hrware.ini file and save it to a neutral location.
- Open the Hrware.ini file at the neutral location and go to the line very near the top that starts with
- Change the word Localhost to the name of the server. Do not change the PATH line and do not change any other lines. Then click Save.
- Go to the new client workstation and go to C:\ProgramData and create a Gradience folder there. If you do not see a ProgramData folder it is because it is hidden. You may go online to see how to unhide it for your operating system.
- Copy the now altered Hrware.ini file from the neutral location and go to the new client computer and paste it into the newly created Gradience folder at C:\ProgramData.
Install the new software on a NEW client workstation.
- Please click here to install version 11 and [during installation] be sure to specifically select [only] the software title(s) you need and be sure to select Client when given the option. You will find that it is already pointed correctly.
IMPORTANT! If the original computer is also to become a client workstation, just copy the Hrware.ini file from the new client and use that to replace the Hrware.ini file at the old machine so that it will now be pointed to the same data being used by the new client.