If you have tried unsuccessfully to manually install SQL 2005 Express, you may click here just to see whether this illustrated installation [process] differs at all from the way you attempted to install SQL2005 Express previously.
You may try this...
1. Right-click the HRcalendar shortcut on the desktop. Click Properties > Compatibility. Select Run this program in compatibility mode for: > Windows XP. If the program still does not start continue to step 2 below.
2. Click on Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager
3. Expand SQLServer 2005 Network Configuration > Protocols for SQLEXPRESS.
4. Right-click on TCP/IP and choose Properties.
5. Enter 1433 in TCP Port fields for IP1 & IPAll
6. Make sure that the SQL Server Browseris [Running] and [Automatic] for start mode:
You may also try this...
1. Click Start > All Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration Tools > Server Configuration Manager.
2. Click SQL Server 2005 Services. Right-click on SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) and choose Stop.
3. Right-click on SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) again and choose Start.
If SQL still fails to install, it could be due to interference from a pre-existing form of SQL. SQL Compact Edition is a common one. SQL 2005 Express which is required by our program will not install if there is another form of SQL already running. It also could be interference from any number of pre-existing SQL components. Your IT person can determine whether any of these components within the red box shown below may be uninstalled.
Note: If MSXML 6.0 remains, use the link below to download the windows installer cleanup utility and manually remove MSXML6. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301