Resolve an Unhandled Exception Error when launching Gradience Basics
(If using Microsoft Windows 7/Windows Server 2008)
1. Right-click the Gradience Basics shortcut on the desktop.
2. Click Properties > Compatibility. Select Run this program in compatibility mode for: > Windows XP and press OK.
3. Now open Gradience Basics. If the program does not launch, continue on to option two below.
1. Click on Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager
2. Make sure that the SQL Server Browser and SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) are [Running] and set to [Automatic] for start mode:
1.Click on Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager
2. Expand SQLServer 2005 Network Configuration > Protocols for SQLEXPRESS
3. Right-click on TCP/IP and choose Properties.
4. Enter 1433 in TCP Port fields for IP1 & IPAll
Note: Before you remove anything you need to make sure you have a recent backup made of the Gradience Basics program. If you do not have a backup made, copy off the database files that are called GRADIENCEBASICS.mdf and GRADIENCEBASICS_log.ldfand are located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
When Gradience Basics fails to open, it could be due to problems with the SQL components. This will require you to remove the Gradience Basics program and SQL components.
Note: Only your IT professional can determine whether you may uninstall any of these components.
1. Open your control panel and navigate to add/remove programs in Windows XP or programs and features in Windows 7 (with the permission of your IT professional) remove the items listed below.
If MSXML 6.0 Parser remains, use the link below to download the Microsoft Fix-it installer cleanup utility and manually remove MSXML6. Use this link:http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/
When attempting to remove any of the items shown in the red box you may get the message shown below.
2. Click OK to the message and the item you are trying to remove will disappear from the list.
3. Once everything is removed, rename the Microsoft SQL Server folder to Microsoft SQL Server_old (found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server in Windows XP or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server in Windows 7)
4.Download and install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22625 (55.4MB file) *see our installation article here
5. Download the appropriate Basics title that you own from the link below:
When the web page opens, select the Basics title that you purchased.
When the web page opens, look for the heading; Download Software and click on the title of software you wish to install.
If you see a slender popup window on your screen with three options (Run, Save, Cancel). Please don’t click Run. Instead, click the down arrow next to Save and select Save As. When your MyComputer screen opens, select Desktop and click Save. This will start the download process. When it is finished, do not click Run. Click Close. To “install” it, please follow the installation steps below.
If you get a large popup with Run, Save, Cancel. There will be no down arrow next to Save so just click Save. You will then get the standard Save As popup window. Click the Desktop button on the left edge of the popup and then click Save in the lower, right corner. This will begin to download the installation file to your desktop. When it is finished, do not click Run. Click Close. To “install” it, please follow the installation steps below.