Establishing a Waiting Period Before Employees Earn Time-Off
Some employers require new employees to wait a prescribed period of time before they may earn Time-Off. These instructions are based on a 90-day waiting period but the logic would apply to any waiting period.
The logic of these instructions will apply to Time-Off that is earned on a daily basis and a weekly basis or on custom dates. The logic of these steps will also apply when operating on a Fiscal Year.
--CAUTION-- If you allow employees to earn Time-Off but not use earned Time-Off for a prescribed waiting period, these instructions are not for you. Preventing employees from using earned Time-Off until a prescribed waiting period has passed, is an administrative action on your part and has no bearing on when employees actually earn Time-Off. --CAUTION--
• Option One below assumes that Time-Off is earned on a monthly basis while on a calendar year.
• Option Two below assumes that Time-Off is earned on a yearly basis while on a calendar year.
OPTION ONE: Time-Off is earned on a [monthly] basis and a [calendar year].
Level One of the Time-Off plan should look like this...
By doing this, you are basically telling the program that [as of the 1st of the month] anyone who has worked there up to but not including 3 months will earn nothing. But, [as of the 1st of the month] anyone who has worked there at least 3 months will earn whatever you say they should earn.
OPTION TWO: Time-Off is earned on a [yearly] basis and a [calendar year].
By doing this, you are basically telling the program that [as of the 1st of the year] anyone who has worked there up to but not including 3 months will earn nothing. But, [as of the 1st of the year] anyone who has worked there at least 3 months will earn whatever you say they should earn.
In both cases, when you click Plan Description you will see this for level one...
Let's say that this person will reach his/her 3 month anniversary on February 7th. He/she will not earn something on that day because according to the Time-Off plan, employees only accrue this Time-Off on January 1st. So you would have to do a manual entry on the Transactions screen. To do this, follow the steps below.
Manually Adjusting the Balance:
1. Click Transactions and select the tab at the top for the particular type of Time-Off you wish to give.
2. Click New > Yes and a popup window will open.
3. When the popup window opens, enter the appropriate date.
4. Click the down arrow to get a drop-down menu.
5. Select Positive Adjustment from the menu. Do not enter Time Earned.
6. Enter the number of hours of Time-Off you wish to credit the employee's PTO Bank.
7. Enter a reason for the entry under Transaction Notes.
8. Click Save.
Now the employee will have a balance from which to draw throughout the rest of the year and next January 1st, he/she will automatically earn whatever the plan prescribes based on his/her longevity.