HRcalendar Enterprise – Move Database to New Server and Repoint Client(s)
(Version 15.0.1205.21 and up support multiple concurrent users)
HRcalendar uses SQL Express for data management. It is assumed that SQL Server or
SQL Express 2005 is already installed on the server. If not, install SQL 2005 Express from
Microsoft.com. SQL Server Express 2008/2012 are not supported at this time.
This process has three parts.
Part 1. Install on the new server.
Part 2. Move the data from the old server to the new server.
Part 3. Repoint the client or clients to the database on the new server.
Part 1. Installation on the New Server:
1. Install the server setup file first, open the media CD/DVD or download the server installation setup file from
2. On the database connection screen (used to create and update the database), the
default windows authentication option is recommended. You may also choose to
manually enter an existing user and password that have already been created in SQL.
(This option is only recommended for experienced IT professionals.)
3. Click Next to install and Finish when complete.
4. The Server installation includes the following:
Backup and Restore feature
User Creation utility
Password Recovery utility
5. No shortcut is placed when the server installation is completed, you'll need to install the client version at the server if you wish to open the program. Navigate to folder C:\Program
Files\HRcalendar Software\HRcalendar or C:\Program Files (x86)\HRcalendar Software\HRcalendar to view and access the components installed.
Part 2. Move the Data from the Old Server to the New Server:
Note: There is no need to enter a product key into the program on the new machine. Your product key resides in the original database. It will come over whether you restore a backup or opt to literally move the database.
You have the following two options for moving the data.
OPTION ONE: Copy a backup that you made on the old computer and restore it on the new computer. See steps below.
OPTION TWO: Copy your data from the old computer and paste it into a folder on the new computer. See steps below.
If you opt to restore a backup, you must first copy the backup from the old data backup folder and paste it into the new, empty one on the new machine and restore it from there.
Restoring Data from a previous backup:
IMPORTANT! Backups must reside in the "local" backup folder on the new computer to be restored.
1. On the old computer, go to c:\Program Files\HRcalendar Software\Data Backup.
2. Copy the most recent backup.
3. On the new computer, go to c:\Program Files\HRcalendar Software\Data Backup or Program Files (x86)\HRcalendar Software\Data Backup (Windows 7)
4. Paste the copied backup into this local backup folder on the new machine.
5. From within HR Calendar click on File > Restore to get a pop-up window listing the backup that you just pasted.
6. Select the appropriate backup and click Open.
7. Reopen HRcalendar to view the restored data.
Copy your data from the old computer and paste it into the new one.
1. Open the old computer and go to C:\Program Files \ Microsoft SQL Server \ MSSQL.1\ MSSQL \ Data.
The two files that constitute the database are:
Copy these two files and paste them into the same folder on the new computer
Part 3. Repointing the Client Workstation(s)
To repoint the client or client workstations, you must reinstall at the Client workstation(s). Follow the steps below.
1. Open the media CD/DVD or download the client installation setup file from
2. Where (local) is: the name of the database server where you installed the Server portion of the software.
3. On the database connection screen, the default windows authentication option is recommended.
4. Click Next to install and Finish when complete.
5. The application shortcut icon is placed on the desktop and the client may begin utilizing the software.
Note: Click here to troubleshoot client connectivity issues.
Note: The installation of SQL Express is typically not required for a client installation of HRcalendar Enterprise.
User Creation Utility Instructions
If you are on a domain, you can use HRcalendarAddUser to create a user OR you may choose
to use SQL Management Studio.
1. To Use HRcalendarAddUser, navigate to C:\Program Files\HRcalendar
Software\HRcalendar or C:\Program Files (x86)\HRcalendar Software\HRcalendar
2. Double-click HRcalendarAddUser to open the Add User window.
3. Type the DOMAIN\USERNAME and click the Add User button.
4. You will receive a confirmation message. Click OK to close the window.
5. Repeat Step 2 to add any additional users that you would like to allow access to the
database stored on the server.
Note: If you are not using a domain computer, you must use SQL Management Studio to add
users. Refer to SQL Management Studio documentation for instructions provided by Microsoft.