Protect your data when not on a network
When Gradience has been installed on a PC as a standalone and you have no network, the program’s database (hrware.gdb) resides on that PC.
In the event that your PC crashes, you stand to lose all of your data on that computer. Additionally, because your backup folder also resides on your PC, you stand to lose all of your backups as well.
Backing up your data:
1. First, to backup your data click on File, Maintenance, Backup the Database. You will get a pop-up that will allow you to navigate to a portable hard drive (USB device).
2. Go to C:\Programdata\Gradience\backup. Copy the backup you just made and attach it to an e-mail and send the e-mail to another computer, preferably off-site for safekeeping.
3. In the event that your computer crashes, all you have to do is reinstall the program on a new computer and have the most recent backup e-mailed back to the new computer. Or plug in the portable hard drive (USB device) containing the backups. Then restore the backup into the new, blank database created by the installation on the new computer.
Restoring the Backup:
1. From the desktop do the following:
- On Vista or Windows 7, click Start > All Programs > Gradience > Maintenance > DB Monitor and log in as you would log into the program. Please be patient. It will hesitate before opening.
- On Vista or Windows 8, or Windows 10, click Start > All Apps > Gradience > Database Monitor and log in as you would log into the program. Please be patient. It will hesitate before opening.
2. Click Restore > Browse.
3. Navigate to the most recent backup and then, click Start Restore. Your database will be filled with the information contained in that backup and you’re up and running again.
NOTE: Backups are date and time stamped in the following example: Manual_Backup_05-28-14-1457.gbk