Moving the Software and Data to a New Server and Repointing the Clients While Upgrading to a New Version
Please print this before proceeding further!
When you click to download the installation file, you will be taken away from these instructions. You'll need the print-out.
You will be installing version 12.17.0508.16, which came out on May 8, 2017.
The 17 refers to the year 2017.
The 05 refers to the month of May.
The 08 refers to the day-of-the-month.
The 16 refers to the hour-of-the-day - 1600 hrs./4:00 PM EDT
If your client workstations are running an older multi-digit version number than the one you will be installing on the new server, you MUST update Gradience on the clients as well. If you run different multi-digit versions on different computers, you will get strange, performance from the software and you risk corrupting your data beyond repair!
Perform a Backup at the Old Server.
You have two options.
1. From within the program, click File > Maintenance > Back up Database.
2. Using the Select Directory window, navigate to where you want the backup to reside and click OK.
1. Click Start > All Programs or All Apps > Gradience > Maintenance > Database Monitor.
2. Log into it as you would log into the software and when it opens, click Backup > Backup Now.
3. Click yes to question about running a sweep.
4. Using the Select Directory window, navigate to where you want the backup to reside and click OK.
5. Click File > Exit > Yes.
Sever Connectivity between Gradience on the Clients and the Data on the Old Server.
At the old server, go to into Services and stop Firebird. If you need it for another application, you may restart it later.
Download the Installation File.
Click here to download the latest Gradience version. We recommend you save it to the desktop and run it from there rather than running it from our web site because you may need it to update your clients.
Install Gradience on the New Server.
When given the option, select Server. Then, click Next on each screen until you click Finish. Do not bother launching the program. You now have a new, blank database file on the new computer. The name of this new database s Hrware.gdb. By default, it is located at C:\Programdata\Gradience.
Restore the Backup you Made at the Old Server.
This will overwrite your new, blank database created by the installation on the new server.
1. From the desktop, click your Windows Start button > All Programs or All Apps > Gradience > Maintenance > Database Monitor. Enter the same login and password you use for the program.
2. When the Database Monitor opens, click on Restore > Browse
3. When the Look in popup opens, click the down arrow to navigate to the wherever you saved your recent backup.
3. Click on the backup to be restored and click Open.
4. The backup file will appear in the upper field in the Database Monitor.
5. In the second field [Database to restore:] enter the path to the database that is being overwritten. Be sure to include the name of the database being overwritten in this path. See example below.
6. Click Start Restore.
7. When the restore is complete, click Yes to the message that appears.
8. To exit, click File > Exit.
Re-point the existing Client(s)
Go to C:\ProgramData\Gradience and open the Hrware.ini file. …Note: The ProgramData folder may be hidden.
When you see the SERVER= line, change what comes after the equal sign to the new server name and change the path only if necessary. Just concern yourself with the 2 lines very near [HRWARE] at the top.
Do not map a drive and do not use UNC. Save a copy of the file to a place where you can retrieve it later.
IMPORTANT Note: You will need to update the client software as well if you used a newer install at the server. All workstations including the server must be running the same release. Otherwise you could corrupt the data beyond repair.
Adding Gradience to an additional Client Workstation
1. At a working client, go to C:\Programdata\Gradience. If you don't see Programdata, use the Hidden Folder steps above.
2. Copy the Hrware.ini file.
3. Paste the copied file to a network folder or an external hard drive (USB device).
4. At the new client workstation, go to C:\Programdata.
5. Create a folder named Gradience and paste the copied Hrware.ini file there.
6. Click on the installation file you downloaded to the desktop earlier.
7. Click Run > Next. Accept the license agreement and click Next.
8. Select Client and click Next. Then select the particular application you need and click Next.
Note: if you install something without a license, it will run as a trial version for 30 days for free.
9. When the next popup appears, click Next > Finish.
10. Open the software. If the login popup opens, you're successfully connected to the database.
Click here to troubleshoot connection issues.
Hidden Folders - Making them Visible:
For a Windows 7 Computer follow these steps...
1. Open the C:drive and click Organize > Folder and Search Options > View.
2. Select Show hidden files, folders an drives.
3. uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
4. Click Apply > OK.
For Window 8 and Windows 10 computers follow these steps...
1. Click the Windows Start button. Usually the Windows logo in the lower left corner of your desktop.
2. Click File Explorer.
3. Follow he steps shown in this image...
4. Repeat the process shown above again except this time check the box for File name extensions.